Article: Tuberculosis-resistant cows developed for the first time using CRISPR technology
- Why do scientists in China feel this is such a breakthrough? What are the benefits?
- Explain the technology they utilized to accomplish this (CRISPR/Cas9). If needed do a quick internet search on the process. There are even many videos on Youtube that explain the process.
- It was noticed that before this time when they attempted this procedure they would find off target genetic effects. Explain what this means.
- How do you see this being perceived in your local community? State? Country? And around the world? Will different regions view this science differently?
- Finally, you are challenged to see both sides of the argument. Some are very excited about this and others are fearful. See if you can list out the arguments from both sides and then try to research what facts there are to support each respective argument.